A Little Cupboard Dreaming…

…of Farrow and Ball.

A few months back on a sunny Sunday I went along to a car boot. As I’ve mentioned before, I love to find those hidden treasures often over-looked by others but that jump out to you.

Ed’s face was a picture when I pulled some tatty candlesticks, a huge piece of un-inspiring piece of artwork in a tired frame and a wooden cupboard from my KA (it was a bit of a squeeze but determination got them in!)

With a bit of love and a lot of sandpaper, the candlesticks were transformed into a pair of little gems.

And soon to follow, minus the hideous picture was the huge wooden frame. Now it’s a bit of shabby chic finery and is perfect in our kitchen as a chalkboard…

 

The cupboard has been a bit more of a challenge. It was gorgeous, but hidden under a thick layer of tar-like varnish (and bright red paint inside!) It was going to need some serious elbow grease.

Too big for the Bumbleblue desk, I had to wait for some decent weather to tackle it outside. It took a whole afternoon to get down to the wood, but it was definitely worth it.

Many, many sheets of sandpaper later and it was bald! Not an inch of gloop was left and after a quick wipe down I could finally get the paint out.

Farrow and Ball no. 229 Elephants Breath was perfect. Delicate and chic, perfect for a little cupboard that had been hidden under caked-on varnish. Only a few coats in and already it looks like a new piece of furniture!

 

 

 

Hopefully with all this gorgeous weather, I will get this little beauty finished in no time. Watch this space…

Advertisements

Butterflies Welcome

The sun has actually tried peeping out in the last two days, and to encourage it a bit more I bought a flower plant for the garden. Not being green fingered, I can’t tell you what it’s called, but it’s purple, pretty and looks fab in my pot at the bottom of the garden!

My new blooms got me feeling creative and I went in search of something new….and found these;

Perfect! They’re huge, heavy bits of slate, and to be honest, when I first saw them it was a case of

“…I want them but I don’t know what for…”

I’m constantly doing this. I’ve got a cupboard in the room where I paint and it’s full of random bits of this, and mixed bags of that, just in case…

Luckily my dad gave me a lifetime supply of vintage tabacco tins so my collection of buttons, beads, ribbons etc. are kept tidy (and even labelled)

After studying my new purchases for a few days, instead of being religated to the ‘cupboard of all things waiting to be used’ my new slate labels made it to my desk and the paint came out!

I’ve never painted on slate before, and it’s not the easiest! The surface isn’t flat so all the letters are slightly wobbly round the edges – something that over the last few years I have never allowed. Being a perfectionist, if it wasn’t right, it was sanded down and started again. (My mum would chuckle reading that!)

Pretty chuffed with these…

and of course, with my new little flower that inspired the whole thing.